Friday, April 30, 2010

PROLOGUE

“Por que, Dios mio? Por que?” Mari’s tormented sobbing tore at Carmen and Moises’ hearts. Her chocolate brown eyes swollen and red-rimmed.


“Calmada, Mari. Por favor, stay calm. Let the police do their job,” Carmen told Mari as she tried to keep her away from the water’s edge.


“Carmen, why don’t you take Mari back to the restaurant and get her a cup of coffee? I’ll stay here and if they find something, I’ll let you know right away,” Moises said, not letting his voice betray the fear he felt for Joe and the children. His heartfelt appreciation for Joe and Mari’s belief in him made him determined to do all in his power to help his friends any way possible.


“No”, argued Mari. “I’m not leaving. I intend to be right here when they find Joe and my children. No me voy a mover,” screamed Mari.


Carmen and Moises exchanged glances with each other and Moises turned to Officer Oniveros with a pleading look for help.


Liliana Ontiveros, semi-rookie cop with the El Paso Police department, had been the first on the scene. She understood Moises’ unspoken cry for help and approached Mari.


“Mrs. Veracruz, I need to speak with you and ask you a few questions. I understand this is extremely difficult for you, but the answers I need from you are very important. Please come with me.”

With that said, Mari went into her thinking mode. Mari had taught her daughter that if she was ever in a scary or difficult situation, she should not stop thinking. She could always cry later. Now was the time to stop and think clearly of what she could do to get her family back.


Mari walked away from the river with Liliana.

© Cordero-Cordell, 2010

No comments:

Post a Comment